Shot Down a ZEKE With an F2A!

Joker

Started another USMC DGen career last night. First campaign: Midway (just one mission).

Flight of eight F2As head northwest looking for the Japanese task force. Run into a mess of ZEKEs.

And I got one!

Honest to God. And in an F2A!

A ZEKE latched onto my wingman. He dove left and the ZEKE followed. I was now above the bandit, so I rolled in and started firing from 250 yards away, closing the gap. The ZEKE broke right and went for the deck. I followed, closing to within about 20 yards. Saw flames erupt from his right wing, and the ZEKE went in.

Repeat: I shot down a ZEKE with a lousy F2A! :nana::nuke::dancinguy:

Not the sporty B-239 we used to fly, mind you, but the ponderous naval version of Brewster's blighted bovid.

Out of ammo now, I scooted back to Midway, where I even managed a decent landing in the Bouncing Buff.

Just thought I'd share ... :P

I can't tell if you are being satiric or not. ... Now, had you told us that you were flying in a hang glider and splashed a Zeke with your sidearm, now that'd be something

Are you kidding, Doug? I've never shot down anything with an F2A!

Heck, I'd rather take my chances in a hang glider than go up against a ZEKE with a Navy Buff. :lol:

Seriously, I'm excited ... :nana::nuke::dancinguy:

You'll need more than just luck. How tall are you? For the casket measurements. Make sure you're contact info is up to date so I'll know where to send the letter to Gail. You know the one that starts "Dear Gail, I regret to inform you that Doug is dead because he was stupid."

You'll need more than just luck. How tall are you? For the casket measurements. Make sure you're contact info is up to date so I'll know where to send the letter to Gail. You know the one that starts "Dear Gail, I regret to inform you that Doug is dead because he was stupid."

BWAAHAAHHAAHAAHAAA!

Boats

Okay, so if Paddles ends up dead or anything, y'all remember that I've got dibs on his collection of Nudist Womens Field Hockey Annual.

They're in the bottom of his footlocker, underneath his Maple Leafs sweater.

Not that I've looked or anything ... :unsure:

Okay, so if Paddles ends up dead or anything, y'all remember that I've got dibs on his collection of Nudist Womens Field Hockey Annual.

They're in the bottom of his footlocker, underneath his Maple Leafs sweater.

Not that I've looked or anything ... :unsure:

I do hope you haven't been drinking out of his Jack Daniels bottle. That's where he keeps his hair restorer. :D

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Congrats on bagging that Zeke. But what were you thinking as you shot his crate from under him? I think it's a valid question. When I am fortunate enough to shoot down an AI I begin to wonder if he had an AI family. Did he have AI children? Did he have an AI wife? If so, wonder if she looks hot? Wonder if she would be interested in me now that she is no longer married?

Uh, oh, I've probably said too much. :unsure:

Heh!

Well, I set up a quick mission with 4 ace A6M2s and 4 ace F2As in my squad. I set it so there was no advantage (head-on merge at the same altitude).

The first four tries, we got creamed, mainly because on Ace setting, the Zekes will not veer off in the merge...the ramming bastiges!

Still, they didn't ram us every time, so in at least two of the four engagements I did get a chance to fight. Problem was, my plane was turning like a stuffed turkey with all the trimmings. I just couldn't maneuver well enough, and that gunsight on the F2A is a nightmare. I finally figured out that you could aim with the tiny iron post on the top of the aiming tube, but for real accuracy, I had to swap between full forward view and the gun sight "tube" view using Shift + F1. The tube view was totally restricting: like looking through a straw.

Okay, so I was getting my tail waxed regardless of gunsight issues. I then figured out that I and my wingies were carrying 100% fuel. I went back into the setup and gave us all 25% fuel and started another mission.

Well, what a difference 75% fuel makes! During the merge I did get winged, literally, when the lead Zeke put ten or so rounds into the tip of my port wing. My plane really lurched and I thought for sure I'd lost my whole wing, but a quick look out the perspex and I found, to my utter amazement and relief, that it was still intact.

I made my turn and found I was able to drop down on the whole crew of Zekes rising from beneath me. Three shot past me on there way up and over, but one leveled out right in my cone of death. I fired several rounds into him as best I could swapping views between the tube and full frontal (;)) but he dove and remembering my cardinal rule, I didn't follow.

Now the rest is kinda hazy because I was talking to Skip on TS during this whole thing about something completely unrelated, but I eventually caught one of the Zekes trying to loop up and over in front of me. I chased him up into the sun and as both he and I were reaching stall speed I squeezed off a burst without looking through the tube. To my surprise, I hit him and flames erupted from his engine cowling. Yee haw!

I gotta say, Joker, it is a real pleasure to shoot down a Zeke from an F2A as it is HARD!

The rest of my boys faired equally well as they cleaned up the rest of the Zekes. I think (and I'll have to check the track file) that I lost one of my boys to a head-on merge with a crazy Zeke.

So, all in all...it worked out. It is FUN to put yourself in a "lesser" aircraft and kick butt, so I highly recommend it. It's also good training for real missions. Kinda like how we would practice stick handling with a lead hockey puck.

:thumbsup: