Bored? Here's a silly game that is totally addicting...

The Dude

Hi guys,

Now that I have my little laptop, I can sit and waste time to the power of 2! Not only can I sit in front of the boob tube watching one military history documentary after another, I can play this dumb, but fun, freeware game at the same time.

The game is called Elastomania. I found it on Downloads.com while I was searching for something that would run on my low spec laptop. In the game, you are on a motorcycle and your task is to navigate these crazy obstacle courses collecting apples (yeah, apples). At the end of the course is a daisy flower...hit that after collecting all the apples and you win that level.

When I saw it on Downloads.com at first I was just about to dismiss it, but the reviews of it by both users and the Download.com staffers was 4.5 out of 5, which is pretty rare. So, I thought I'd give it a try.

Well dammed if this thing isn't totally addicting. The first time I played it, I thought it was cute, but it seemed like some of the courses were just too damn hard to finish. I'd exit the game and say, "Nah, not for me," but it would always draw me back for another try. I'd try it again, have some success, then get stuck on some level and say, "Nah, not for me." A day or two would go by, and sure enough, I'd open it again and try one of those levels I was having trouble with, and oh...say, after the 40th attempt, I'd get it. It's such a stupid little game, but when you beat a level that you thought was impossible, it's dang satisfying!

If you do decide to download this game, make sure you watch the demo because it'll give you some insights into what's possible...which is quite a bit considering the simplicity of the controls. You use the space bar to switch directions, the up arrow for gas, the down arrow for brake, the right arrow for wheelies, and the left arrow for catwalking (or is it dogwalking? whatever the opposite of a wheelie is) the bike. I think the right and left arrows reverse depending on the direction you are travelling. And here's why it's called "Elastomania", because the front shocks of the bike, and the rear wheel suspension arm are elastic! Both will stretch if you hook your wheels on stuff and this is the brilliant thing of the game. It's hard to explain, you just have to try it to understand it.

Any who, I've managed to get to level 16, so if you get stuck on one that absolutely confounds you, let me know and I'll give you some hard-earned tips. Oh, and there's 20 levels in the freeware version, but there are over 1,100 user community created levels available. The level editor is included with the freeware version, so if you want to experiment with that stuff, you can.

Here's the download. And here's some screenies:

elasto2.jpg

elasto1.jpg

Try it. You like it.

Muhuhuhuhuhahaha!

Oh, and my first tip: It's all about finesse! It takes a very light touch on the controls.