Anybody here use BitTorrent?

Donster

Safe is a relative term...but it all depends on what you're downloading. If it's all sorts of hacked/cracked stuff then you have to be careful of it like you would if it was coming off a regular download site.

Otherwise it's as safe as anything else ya do on the net I guess.

Pretty safe. It is in itself just a protocol for distributed data download. There are some basic requirements for it to work well. One is that it needs access through a port in your Internet router. Some routers sets it up automatically (using UPnP), some require that you set it up yourself. There are some technical stuff around that, but we can save that for later. This port enables other clients to get data from you, on the same file you're downloading.

The other is that you need others downloading the same file. So it is good for popular files, basically the more people downloading a particular file, the faster it will be. So for obscure stuff, BitTorrent is not suited.

Another thing is that you must be able to share data with a reasonable bandwidth. The faster you can upload, the faster you can download. There are exceptions to this, as you don't want to saturate your connection -- and there are variations from client to client.

I've been using Azureus from http://azureus.sourceforge.net/download.php for some time and for me it has performed very well. I'm not a heavy user of BitTorrent tho, more or less only use it to download large Linux install DVD images.

So, to answer your question :), yes, it can be better and it will often be the first choice if the download site offers it and the file is >50MB or so. Also keep in mind that BitTorrent downloads can take some time to ramp-up, let it run for 5-10 minutes. And it is considered polite to let the BitTorrent stay active after you finish the download, to feed other downloaders. This gentlemens agreement is what makes BitTorrent very good, and also what can make it bad (when people don't act like gentlemen).

Ya won't need a Body Condom, but it's full of spyware crap...If theres a huge file you want, I recommend using it, then removing it....once removed, do a spy ware sweep and clean accordingly...

I did it awhile ago, no harm, but it wasn't all that wonderful in downloading....

Once I removed / unisntalled it, and then did hte basic clean up stuff and apy ware cleaners, the machine had no problems with it...

Azureus is what I use too, the only tricky part is the port opening if you're running through a router, otherwise it's pretty easy to use. The thing to remember is when you download a torrent file that's just like the "tag" and they're small, that's what tells whatever client you're using what to go fetch for you off the web. That's a mistake I made when I first tried it a year or so ago to get a Firefly fan vid, I thought that little file was the file...nope it's the go-fetch thingmie.

The best way to find what torrents are available and how many people are sharing it (more the better because you get faster speeds) is something like the Torrentspy webpage. It has a search engine where you can browse categories or type in a title and it does all the work for you. Get the torrent file, put it in your downloader client and away you go.

Some things are very fast, some are very slow, all depends on how many sharers there are. It's taken me 12 hours to get a 700 meg file before, and 4 to get a 6 gig file, all depends on who's sharing what.

So basically...what Cartoon said. ;)

Never had any spyware hits from using it, all depends on what client you're running I imagine. Some are better than others and the Azureus one has seemed clean to me thus far. I don't use it regularly but sometimes there are things you want to get that just can't be found any other way.

Thanks guys, as usual you all share the best info! :thumbsup: I'm behind a router, and I am not going to mess around with it. So I will just wait until more sites have the demo I want and get it from a faster site. :) The demo was just released today and I have found it only on one site. So BitTorrent probably wouldn't be much help in this case anyway.