This guy has some home buisness

Shepherd

Dr. Evil grows weed? Geez that place is like a fortress. I bet there is an auto destruct feature if the vault is tampered with.

There is NO way that guy had a power bill that would've given him away.

I've had to re-hookup the power in dope houses many o' time. What the guys do is simplicity itself. They either pull the meter off the base and put a simple shunt into one set of jaws on one of the "legs". All house power has two legs: each 120 volts, both together give you your 240 volts for your range and dryer. If you just shunt one set of jaws in the meter base, you can steal all the power you want off that one leg. The power company cannot meter the power if you don't suck too too much.

The other thing I've seen done is where there are underground power supplies to houses. The dope grower just rents a 24-inch concrete hole saw and drills through the basement wall next to wear the service mains come up from underground to the meter base on the side of the house.

Brave buggers that they are, they cut one of the live 120 volt mains and T-tap it. The power for the house goes up to the meter and gets monitored as per usual, but the rest of the power they are stealing from the T-tap goes right into their pot lights and fans without being metered.

If this guy was smart, and it looks like he was, he could've even stepped up his stolen power using a transformer and he'd have more power than he needed. Mind you, if he might've gotten caught because he was drawing so much current that it started to cook the incoming service mains.

Nope, how most of these guys get caught, at least in the suburbs here in Canada, is that the growers have a hell of a time getting rid of all the humidity the operation creates. All this humidity has to be exhausted outside of the house and that creates huge ice buildups on exhaust vents and chimneys during the winter months.

A lot of growers have resorted to just letting the humidity build up inside the house...which results in the houses being condemned when they get busted because of all the mold.

How the guy above got caught? My guess is someone must've ratted him out. I mean, you can't build something like that on your own. Someone must've got wise, or he pissed off a partner. Or he took a very good undercover cop into his confidence and decided to show off his masterpiece to the guy.

tap into live mains huh? that's nuts!

I've done it. I've cut live house mains lots of times, but I know what I'm doing...still, it does give me the heebie jeebies...and that's good. I have the right gloves, CSA approved cutters, and I make sure I'm not grounded, and yadda, yadda, yadda.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if many of these growers aren't electricians themselves or at least have one on the payroll. These growers are generally not stoners; rather, they are very sophisticated business operators and they have professional "crews" with all sorts of skills and knowledge. I just saw some report on CNN about the construction crews operating in New Orleans...skilled tradesmen by day, gang members by night doing all sorts of heinous stuff :(

Donnie's right..............it was Tennessee.

Guy had a hydraulic concreete trap door that lead to the operation, along with a lenghty escape tunnel that came out in some woods several hundred yards away. They were producing a new crop every 60 days. It was a multi-million dollar operation.

Two things gave the whole thinga away. He was driving a new car every year (paid for in cash) and one of the "gang" couldn't keep his mouth shut while in bed with his girlfriend.

Operation like this tho you could almost see the guy coming up with an independant power source. You can get good generators for nothing at govt. auctions. I'm talking commercial sized stuff. Anyway, yall are probably right about him splicing into the power somehow.