Flight Sim Joystick

Whizkid

OK,I'm going to open the flood gates for you long time pilots to tell me what new Joystick to buy,keeping the price in the mid-range. I like the Saitek X-52 but can't afford it,but the X-45 looks good also,and that I can afford. How about Force Feedback? Like it for Racing,but for flying? My MS Precision Pro was OK,but there's no support anymore,and it's time to upgrade. Go for it!

I'm serious here.................I don't know what you should buy. The money constraints you know more about than I. My suggestion would be to make sure what ever you get has, or can be, hooked up to rudder pedals. Pedals make it so much eaiser to get on someone's six and blast them from the sky.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA*

*Evil Laugh, Pat Pending.

I'm serious here.................I don't know what you should buy. The money constraints you know more about than I. My suggestion would be to make sure what ever you get has, or can be, hooked up to rudder pedals. Pedals make it so much eaiser to get on someone's six and blast them from the sky.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA*

*Evil Laugh, Pat Pending.

You can't patent that! It's in the Public Domain,or something!

Anyway,what do you have in the pit? I d/l'd the Drawings today to the Flying Furniture. Must say it looks fascinating,but I like the one made from PVC Tubing even more. The idea of it actually rolling and pitching is neat. Would make a good horror movie where it gets out of control and mashes the pilot to death! Sort of like "Christine"

Both pits have HOTAS Cougar sticks and throttle. The Big Rig has them with Elite pedals and the Little Rig has them with WCS pedals.

HOTAS Cougars (with pedals) will run you around $275-$325 USD total.

CH Products is about the same, maybe a bit less.

It has to do with preference and pocketbook.............I bought my rig back when I was working.

Both pits have HOTAS Cougar sticks and throttle. The Big Rig has them with Elite pedals and the Little Rig has them with WCS pedals.

HOTAS Cougars (with pedals) will run you around $275-$325 USD total.

CH Products is about the same, maybe a bit less.

It has to do with preference and pocketbook.............I bought my rig back when I was working.

Yep,that working thing sure makes a difference,don't it? I'll wait and see what others say,first. I guess it's all a matter of personal preference. Maybe I can add the pedals later,after I get flying with you guys.

I have been using CH Products stick and pedals for years. The first set was the old game port hook up, but now I have the Fighterstick USB and ProPedals. They are not cheap, around $200 or so for the whole set up, but worth every penny.

I've tried more than my fair share of joysticks, throttles, and rudder pedals, and I've said it before and I'll say it again: CH Products joystick, throttle and their regular (not the Pro) pedals. Best all round value, durability, and very authentic.

But! Not even the best gear will make you a better pilot. I wish Geg would chime-in here and amaze you with his low-tech controller specs. Geg's one of our very best VMF-124 aces and he doesn't even own rudder pedals.

It's all about picking a control setup that fits your budget, and then practice, practice, practice! That's what'll make you a great pilot. Seriously.

It's all about picking a control setup that fits your budget, and then practice, practice, practice! That's what'll make you a great pilot. Seriously.

I'll second that........it's a poor worker that blames his tools.

I'll second that........it's a poor worker that blames his tools.

Wow,Mane you must have known my Dad! He used to say that! :rofl:

Hey Whizzers

Keep an eye on E-bay for CH controls. I bought a joystick, pedals, and throttle on there for under 100 bucks. Some people buy em and then don't use em. I have seen quite a bit of stuff go thru there.

I've owned both Saitek HOTAS (X series) and I now own an X-45. My previous setup was a CH Pro Throttle, CH Pedals, and CH ForceFX HOTAS. That kicked arse but my $$$ are tight at the moment.

If you have 30-40USD, an X-45 is the perfect starter HOTAS. Rudder is built into the throttle, but you really don't use it much (shouldn't use it much) except when on the ground. You can program the crap out of the X-45 too. You can find most X-45's on sale as the X-52 is the new model.

Unlike MANE-RAPTOR, I believe it's not the HOTAS that makes the pilot, it's the player behind it.

If you like using the X-45 as a HOTAS, then save up and buy the CH gear. You may find them used on EBAY, and check other sim websites forsale sections.

Unlike MANE-RAPTOR, I believe it's not the HOTAS that makes the pilot, it's the player behind it.

Fork, check post #11.............I quite agree it's the player not the tool.

Thanks for the response,guys. I knew you'all would do me proud! Damn,I'm starting to sound like The Skipper,or Boats!

Looks like X45 will do it for now,until my flying is so good I have to join the Uber-Pilots and get pedals etc!

I have an X-45 and like it pretty well. Those who know me , know that I'm not much of a fighter jock but am a fair ground pounder. The X-45 works very well for me there. Some folks can't get used to the rocker-rudder, but at least one guy I know has a set of rudder pedals hooked up with the X-45 somehow...he actually bought a used racing wheel and pedals and used the pedals for his rudder.

I have an X-45 and like it pretty well. Those who know me , know that I'm not much of a fighter jock but am a fair ground pounder. The X-45 works very well for me there. Some folks can't get used to the rocker-rudder, but at least one guy I know has a set of rudder pedals hooked up with the X-45 somehow...he actually bought a used racing wheel and pedals and used the pedals for his rudder.

Hey,Archie,I have a MS Wheel and Pedals. Could you ask your friend how he hooked up the pedals for flying. It might save me from buying CH pedals.

Do any of you have a SAITEK X-45 OR X-52 Stick they would care to sell? Otherwise it's off to e-Bay. Or even CH Products?

One cannot have skills if one has not acheived them...therefore...I suck. :D

Donnie, I remember back to the EAW days. You were good back then. The only problem you had was landing the Corsair. Seem to recall you'd bail out and we'd be sitting on the ground making bets as to where your plane would come down.

Donnie, I remember back to the EAW days. You were good back then. The only problem you had was landing the Corsair. Seem to recall you'd bail out and we'd be sitting on the ground making bets as to where your plane would come down.

We had a Corsair in EAW? :huh::blink: