Create a Caption! (Mane Goes a Huntin')

Donster

First off;

If that there shooting thingmie holds more than 5 rounds.......it's illegal.

Second;

I might be fun to shoot, but most deer are shot within 100 yards around these parts.

Third:

If you think I'm goin' to be carryin' a long nosed rifle like that through the pucker brush, you're nuts.

Oh yea, a caption:

"Nice Truck!!!!!!!!!!!!"

:P:P:P:biteme:

Cowboy, allow me to explain my hunting success;

For years I would spend many a cold day, "still hunting" (you move very slowly thru the woods, pausing ever couple of steps to look and listen). I'd go down into Ceder swamps, thru pucker brush, up and over ridge lines, work my way through thick pine strands. I'd get a deer, but it was hard work for a success rate of maybe one every 3 to 5 seasons. Never mind haulin' the dang thing out to the truck.

With age came both wisdom and infirmary (my kness ain't what they used to be), now on the first day of deer season I do thing a bit different:

The night before I make my way to my farvorite spot and hang 4 to 6 cotton balls soaked in "Doe in Heat" scent from the branches of a group of Apple trees. Then in the morning I get up damn early in the morning, put on my long johns, a pair of wool-lined jeans, a heavy flannel shirt, sweater, and jacket. I gather my gloves, thermos of coffee, rifle, shells, and binocs, and then make my way upstairs to the second floor bathroom, about 30 to 45 minutes before official "first light" (one 1/2 hours before sunrise). I close the door, crank open the window, load the rifle, sit on the john (seat down), and wait.

Those Apple trees where I placed the scent balls the night before are 75 yards away, and I have an view of all the approaches to it.

On average now, since I started using this new and improved method, I have "my deer" within about 2 hours (shortest time is 10 minutes - 6 point Buck, longest time is 3 days - nice 8, but could have been 10 point Buck dressed out at 197lbs). And as for haulin' them out of the woods...........between my tractor and a store-bought pulley rig, I don't have a problem.

I figured out, after 20 years of hunting, it's better to let them come to me, than goin' after them.

Oh, and my success rate now: 6 deer in 8 years. :P

"The night before I make my way to my farvorite spot and hang 4 to 6 cotton balls soaked in "Doe in Heat" scent from the branches of a group of Apple trees."

Damn,you'd better warn the CSim members not to come sniffing around your place,Mane! You know how they react to that stuff!

hmmmmm......this is somewhat scary..... other than the "smelly stuff" that's the same way sensible moose hunters (no deer in NF) hunt around here. Before the season starts we scout for likely cut over areas with good evidence of moose being about. Then find a high spot, arrive EARLY in the morning, sit on a stump and wait for one to wander into range. We can always tell the "noobs" who go sneaking around the woods trying to "surprise" a moose....they have those frigging big ears and huge noses for a reason :D

Damn Moose are so dumb around here, that I swear you could call one into the back of your pickup truck and shoot him there.

Yea "still hunting" don't work for Moose, You gotta find a spot, call, and wait.

Damn Moose are so dumb around here, that I swear you could call one into the back of your pickup truck and shoot him there.

Yea "still hunting" don't work for Moose, You gotta find a spot, call, and wait.

Might not be very sporting, but that would be damn convenient!!!! :D

The only Moose I ever shot was one that I dropped by the side of a logging (tote) road. The legs were sticking out over the ditch, so field dressing the beast was "easy" (if sticking your arms up over your elbows into the warm abdomen of an 800 lb beast and cutting free all the guts can be considered easy). My buddy and I then parked the truck on the other side of the road (in the ditch there) and through the use of ropes, pulleys and muscle power dragged it across the road (distance of about 30 feet) and into the bed of the truck.

The Moose was shot at 6:30 AM. By the time we had it in the truck and ready to take to the tagging station it was 10:30 AM..........four hours of damn heavy work. :o

I know some Gudes that bring a chainsaw with them when they go Moose hunting. Others just hire a pulp wood skidder to haul the thing out of the woods.

Oh and of the 800 lbs, we got about 275 lbs of real good eatin' meat. :thumbsup: