Last of the Tomcats.

Whizkid

Truely a classic fighter.

Anyone remember the dogfight scene in "The Final Countdown" where the two Tomcats are playing with the Zeroes?

Great piece of filming!!!!!

And according to http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080736/

When an F-14 does a steep dive and pulls out just before crashing into the ocean while "playing" with one of the Zeroes, the "scream" the F-14 made was created by mixing the sound of the jet engines with the actual scream of the pilot's wife when she saw that clip for the first time

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

:icon_salute3: to one fine plane.

Hollywood reconstruct the encounter a entirely wrongly ways! In fact is the case, Ronin splash 2 Tomcat with excellent Japanese Zero Sen Fighter.

Havin' one of your usual 'I so ronery so I get dlunkie with majol saki-toss palty arl by myserf' nights there old magnesium head? :rofl:

LOL @ Ronin. I'm thinking I really shouldn't laugh at him, it only encourages him.

I have the DVD and there's a really cool interview with the pilots who flew those scenes. One of them relates that after their admiral saw the movie he took that pilot aside and asked "So how low were you, really?" He says he pulled out at about 300' but what a great shot.

Kind of a sad day for sure, but the Tomcat is done. Maintenance hours are way up, and the long range intercept mission is long gone. Thing that kind of bothers me is that they are going to send some to museums some to Davis-Monthan in AZ and destroy the rest. Forget that, send one to me, can you imagine what one of those would be worth in 50 years?

It has always been my fav,if you have a look at my yellow corsair tail I got it right from an F14 Squadron.

While I have never had the pleasure of seeing one live it will remain one of the best in my eyes

Man, I've seen scads of them in the air around Oceana. Always a crowd pleaser at airshows too.

I did an underway repair to the Saratoga back in the late 80's. We had some free time on the second day, waiting for the Navy to prep something so we could do the work we went out to do. Me and a buddy went up to Vultures Roost during flight ops, and got to see some incredible flying. When a Tomcat is doing touch and goes, it does the same flight profile as a normal landing, except that the tailhook is not lowered, and the aircraft simply rolls over the wires. But the Tomcat does not "roll". It comes in, hanging on flaps and power, with a serious sink rate, slams into the deck (which you can feel 5 decks down!) compresses the oleos, then freaking JUMPS into the air on full burner! AWESOME! Even with foamies and Mickey Mouse on, you're damn near deafened by the sound.

I tried my best to snivel a cat shot in a Tomcat, but to no avail. All I got, was a rolling takeoff in a COD, which scared the sh!t out of me. Sat on the right side, facing aft, and with no hookup to the cat shuttle, we just went to full power, and took off! Hit the round down on the waist cat, and got to see the COD sink BELOW the level of the flight deck. I saw the freakin' underside of the catwalk, for God's sake! Thought I was dead as a doornail in an aircraft with the floatation ability of a well-stuffed safe.

Cheated death again...

Boats

Boats,

Guy that I worked with and that got me hooked on this flight simming, was a radar tech on a Hawkeye. He had the same feeling everytime he left the deck. Even years later, he'd shutter when describing his experiences.

There's just tons of stuff going on with SF:P1 and WoV. If you had asked me about these two sims shortly after they came out, especially after the WalMart version of SF:P1, I'd have told you that they would be dead and collecting dust within a year. But with some patches (sorry, the WalMart version cannot be patched, it is dead) and all these add-on campaigns, maps and aircraft, it's kind of becoming the combat equivalent of MicroSoft Flight Sim.

There's just tons of stuff going on with SF:P1 and WoV. If you had asked me about these two sims shortly after they came out, especially after the WalMart version of SF:P1, I'd have told you that they would be dead and collecting dust within a year. But with some patches (sorry, the WalMart version cannot be patched, it is dead) and all these add-on campaigns, maps and aircraft, it's kind of becoming the combat equivalent of MicroSoft Flight Sim.

Thought this might be of interest.

http://www.thirdwire.com/projects/p1/rt_links.htm

I remember when I was beta testing SF:P1 and we heard about the Wal-Mart release!

Man, did the stuff hit the fan!

I thought it was over at that point. I am really glad to see the way it has matured over the years, especially with TK's

stick to-it-iveness. :huh:

There is supposed to me one more patch out soon-ish, and I hope it gives us stealth, for the F-19 that came out a week

or so ago. Lovin' that model! Stuck it in a campaign, and it rocks!

:thumbsup:

Yeah, and the F/A-18 also replaced the A-4 Skyhawk, A-6 Intruder and A-7 Corsair II. The USN has put all of it's eggs into one basket. Great for logistics, not so great for getting certain jobs accomplished. I don't think the F/A-18 has ever completely lived up to expectations and I don't think it has quite the interceptor capabilities of the F-14. And soon, the USN, USAF and USMC will, supposedly, all be flying the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter. One big problem with the USN and the F-35 is the engine, there's only one and the USN likes two and for good reason. If one gets knocked out, hopefully the other will get the pilot home as there are no emergency landing fields in the middle of the ocean.

• 4 weeks later...