Good Saturday Morning

Donster

Clear and already 44F at 6:00am. High temp of 65F with T-storms later on in the day. The new buds on our tree in the front yard are starting to open. Spring is almost hear! :thumbsup: DEATH TO WINTER! DEATH TO SNOW!

Lottie wants to go new car shopping today. The guy I used to deal with has retired. Was not your typical sales type. A very nice guy, not pushy. Yet he sold cars for 30 years. The rest need to take a lesson from him. So now we will probably end up with some asshat who wants to make all his money for the month on one car sale...ours. <_<:(

Morning All,

Clear, windy, and WARM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Snow melting is way to nothingness. Temps above freezing all night long.........could it be?

Spring is a comin'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Donnie, I love to dicker with car salesman. Man, that is more fun than a customer should be allowed. Figure out what you can afford for a monthly payment, take 15% off that and tell the person, that's as high as you can go. And be prepared to walk out of the showroom and let them know you are willing to go somewhere else.

Little twerps will be running out after you everytime when you do. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I had to buy a new car just three years ago, the transmission in my old car was shot (4 speed automatic.... sometimes!). I wanted a small SUV and I had researched the vehicles, decided on the Honda CRV. My trade was a solid $600 car, I got a $1000 for it and 2.9% financing. It can be done.

Y'all have a good Saturday, It's almost 60F now, sunny, going into the 70's again today. :thumbsup:

My last experience buying a car:

Marilyn needed a new car as the truck she was using to drive back and forth to work (round trip = 125 miles per day) was costing us a wee bit much in gas. So I agreed to use my Honda del Sol as a trade-in.

I got the dealership to give me $6,000 on the car (10 years old) and a financing deal with rebates and such that gave us the car for a monthly payment that was half of the monthly cost of gas for her use of the truck. The difference between what she was spending on gass for the truck and what she spends now for the car pays for the monthly car payment.

Of course, it took about 4 hours to complete the deal, including a trip across the street to a Denny's where we "thought about it".

Stick to your guns, Donnie. These guys can be broken down faster than a cheap watch. :rofl:

Yeah, on our side is we don't NEED to buy a car. We paid off our Santa Fe early back in August. I still have my mom's car, 1986 Chevy Cavalier with 47,000 original miles. Lottie drives the Santa Fe. But our plan has been this spring we will buy Lottie a new car, what ever she wants (that we can afford of course). She wants a sedan with lots of zoom. (She does like to drive aggressively, and that is harder to do in a small SUV). So we can wait as long as we want if nobody wants to deal. After we buy what she wants, we will then sell the Cavalier.

She wants a sedan with lots of zoom. (She does like to drive aggressively, and that is harder to do in a small SUV).

Look at the Saturn line of sedans, also the Mitsubishi Lancer..........lots of pep, good gas milage, and well built. After all Marilyn hit a Moose with one and walked away without a scratch.

You had a del Sol? Damn!!!!!! I wanted one of those so bad and just couldn't afford it at the time. Nice little sports car that I could actually sit in and not have the seat shoved all the way back!!!!!

Yea bought it in 1995, sold it ten years later. Paid $18,000 for the puppy, actual value, after you totaled up all the doo-dads I talked the salesman into throwing on the car, was over 20 grand.

Hell of a car. Fun to drive and with studded tires all around, I never had a problem in the snow. And fast, had that puppy up to 105 one time. Miss it during the summer though. :(

Look at the Saturn line of sedans, also the Mitsubishi Lancer..........lots of pep, good gas milage, and well built. After all Marilyn hit a Moose with one and walked away without a scratch.

No...Saturn sedans are butt ugly in my opinion. Mitsubishi dealers in the area really are bad service wise. Ya gotta look at that too. No car is worth it if the dealer can't fix it.

Well, our dealer (who is 50 miles away), takes damn good care of us. Prices are reasonable. Marilyn can drop the car off in the morning, they take her the rest of the way to work, and deliver the car, finished and washed, to her school before the day is out.

If she forgets that we have discount tickets for oil changes and the like, they give her the discount anyways. After the accident, they went over the car from head to toe, checking that the repair shop did everything to specs, and when they found the front end had not been aligned correctly, they re-did it for free.

Yup, service is important, along with price and quality.

Yeah that Challenger does look sweet. :thumbsup: However, there is one problem with it. IT IS BUILT BY DODGE!!! My experiance with Chrysler Corp. vehicles has been terrible. My new Dodge Dakota pickup I bought in '92 went thru 3 transmissions in the first 12,000 miles. Traded it off for a Chrysler Cirrus. It was in the shop more often then in my garage. We bought a '96 Dodge Grand Caravan, it wasn't to bad, but the rear heater lines had to be replace 4 times for leaking coolant. Had a '96 Neon that even for a 4 cyl, sucked gas almost as bad as the van. That was if for us and Chrysler Corp. vehicles.

Lottie wants to look at the Buick LaCrosse, Hyundai Sonata, Mazda 6, Toyota Camry.

Donnie,

We've been driving Buick Regals for about 15 years, a 1992 followed by the current ride, a 1996. Both gave good service, get good gas mileage and have plenty of room. The 1996 is a Regal GS with the 3.8L engine and a host of suspension goodies. It goes better than any regular car I've ever owned.

Too bad they retired the Regal nameplate. Look at the Lucerne. It's damn well equipped for the money and its a Buick. I hate the name, though. What damn fool thought of naming a car after an outfit that produces milk?

If that don't suit, check out the Toyota Camry. Nice sedan. Good power. I think they're built in the US.

If Lottie likes power, take a gander at the new Charger. It's rear drive, like a real car, and comes with a damn nice 3.5L V6. You can get the hemi, but that might not be a good idea for someone who drives "aggressively". LOL!

BTW, how's the weather looking for the end of next week?

Note: this post conforms to the offically hijacked content of the thread.

Jim

Donnie,

We've been driving Buick Regals for about 15 years, a 1992 followed by the current ride, a 1996. Both gave good service, get good gas mileage and have plenty of room. The 1996 is a Regal GS with the 3.8L engine and a host of suspension goodies. It goes better than any regular car I've ever owned.

Too bad they retired the Regal nameplate. Look at the Lucerne. It's damn well equipped for the money and its a Buick. I hate the name, though. What damn fool thought of naming a car after an outfit that produces milk?

If that don't suit, check out the Toyota Camry. Nice sedan. Good power. I think they're built in the US.

If Lottie likes power, take a gander at the new Charger. It's rear drive, like a real car, and comes with a damn nice 3.5L V6. You can get the hemi, but that might not be a good idea for someone who drives "aggressively". LOL!

BTW, how's the weather looking for the end of next week?

Note: this post conforms to the offically hijacked content of the thread.

Jim

Jim,

Hit a tad over 70F here today. Forcast for this coming Friday...Invasion Day....Partly Sunny and 37F/17F for the low. :( But wez got one of dem der furnaces and a fireplace.

Now back to the hijacked part of the thread...

Lottie likes the Buick Lacrosse. I think the the Lucerne is ok, but I hate the side-fender portholes. It worked in the '50s, not now.

Lottie ended up after all the comparing we have been doing over the past months selecting a 2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS today. Ok I am sure alot of you guys are going to say "Ewwww...Hyundai!" but this company has really progressed in the last 5 years. It has a 235 hp 3.3 liter 24 Valve V6. 5 Speed automatic transmission, Electronic Stability Control (ESC) with Traction Control System (TCS) and anti-lock 4 wheel disc brakes all standard. 17" aluminum wheels with Michelin P225/50R17 tires. Sunroof. Homelink system with temp display, power drivers seat, 6 air bags, CD player, AC, Cruise, more interior room than Camry or Accord. The engine is so quiet at idle you really can't hear it running. Built in a new $1 billion dollar factory in Alabama. And most people don't know this, but the robot assembly machines that Mercedes Benz uses, are built by Hyundai Industries. Of course they are using them in this new plant.

10 Year-100,000 warranty on the engine and drivetrain. 60 months, 60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. And for a bit more, we added the blanket coverage, so everything except tires battery, struts, and brake pads are now also convered 10 year-100,000 miles.

I own a 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe FWD, and have had very little problem with it. What has needed attention has been fixed without cost to me. The dealer we deal with has one of the top Hyundai Master Technicians in the country.

But the Camry and the Lacrosse, with what she wanted for options, would have been $3-4,000 more, plus the warranty coverage isn't even close. We worked out a pretty good deal $700 above invoice, with another $3,000 in rebates. So the price of the car with tax, etc was just under $20,000.

Car rides like a dream and has plenty of zoom zoom factor for Lottie. We pick it up Thursday night. So we can take you and your lovely wife to dinner in it Friday night. :)

Sonata website

Ok, the REALLY IMPORTANT feature...............

What color (or colour for our Canadian friends)?

Ok they (Hyundai) call it Golden Beige. I call it Light gold or Champagne. Beige interior. The way it looks on the website doesn't do it justice. I will post piccies as soon as I can. :)

Beige with a Beige interior, eh?

Those her school colors or something? :P

No not really. The other interior color is gray, which you can't get with the beige exterior for some reason. It is a very light interior color, but not to light to show dirt.