VASBYT!

cobraj

USA 17-0 over South Africa in Baseball... Can't stand when they come up with these world games.. Now Baseball. Get a bunch of over-paid pros to play. It should be amateur teams to be more interesting

Yea, Jay...........

Being a die-hard Sox fan, it's kinda hard to root for a team that has Derek Jeter on it. :(

I thought his name was 'Jerk Deter'? :D

Baseball, ruined by not only the owners but the players too, is trying this 'tournament' to give baseball a shot in the arm (US baseball). But when you go out in your first game, and your multi-million dollar stars get beat by CANADA...that is pretty sad. I mean how many Canadian kids were out playing baseball? Dressed in winter coats and insulated gloves? I would bet Foosball has a bigger following in Canada then baseball.

Then the papers and internet news sites plaster their pages when the US beats South Africa? If you beat Cuba at that score yes, but South Africa? Desperation.

I agree it should be all amateur players. So should the olympics.

I used to love baseball. Used to coach little league. Used to coach girls softball. But when the Major League players went on strike the last time, and I was watching a press conference of some players talking about why they were striking, and one player (who was not a star, but a bench warmer) stood at the microphone and spit out "I can't raise my family on a million and a half dollars a year", that ended my following of Major League baseball. :rant:

Adam Stern, the Canadian player that went 3-for-4 with an inside-the-park homer and four RBIs and just about single handedly beat the US (8-6) in that game, had been a minor league player until he was called up to the majors last year. In the majors, he hit .133.

Oh. and the team that called him up................the Boston Red Sox.

One good thing about that game:

Jason Varitek had a grand slam for the U.S. :thumbsup:

For me, American pro baseball died in 1994 with the big strike. I still like to catch a Richmond Braves game when I can, although thanks to the shenanigans of Richmond's mayor, L. Douglas Wilder, the R Braves are likely to be somewhere else in another season or two.

they are trying to bring another farm baseball team to Massachusetts, hope they can pull it off. I go see the Pawtuckett Red Sox whenever I can. These guy's 110 percent the whole game for a $8 ticket price!

they are trying to bring another farm baseball team to Massachusetts, hope they can pull it off. I go see the Pawtuckett Red Sox whenever I can. These guy's 110 percent the whole game for a $8 ticket price!

Our Minor League team the "Cedar Rapids Kernels" our worth their ticket price too. $6-$9. New stadium just a couple of years ago. It is really nice. Not a bad seat in the place. :)

The Richmond Braves are getting more expensive this season. $10 for box seats, $8 for press level seats, $7 for general admission. The food and beverages at The Diamond (it used to be Parker Field, no one else had a Parker Field, but a former mayor of Richmond named the new stadium The Diamond because he had been to another city that had named their stadium The Diamond <_< ) are as expensive as they are at a movie theatre. But that wouldn't stop me from taking in a game or two this year. Might be the last year too as the R. Braves want a new stadium (the old one is now crumbling... pieces of the concrete structure have actually fallen off and had to be patched!). A private company offered to build a stadium complex with hotels, restaurants and shops in a section of Richmond that is run down, but offers a nice view of the James River and the city's skyline. Richmond's mayor, L. Douglas Wilder, said no to the plan and wants to build the stadium (no restaurants or shops) on some property the city owns. This property has nice view of the old Fulton railroad yard and nothing else. Like I said, might be the last year for the Richmond Braves. :(

Sorry, but I think the whole thing was a joke from the get go. I'm not a baseball fan, but I'm less a fan of this than the current schedule of 390 games they play now during the season. The crap cuts into real sports like football and football and, oh yeah, football.