What about this rig?

The Dude

Hi guys,

What do you think of this setup:

* AMD Athlon64 3200+ Processor

* MSI K8N Neo4-F Motherboard with onboard Audio, LAN, USB 2.0

* 1GB Kingston PC3200 DDR Ram (2 x 512MB)

* Coolermaster Praetorian 730 Black Case

* Enermax Liberty 500W Modular Power Supply

* Seagate 160GB SATA Hard Drive

* Samsung 16x16 Dual-Layer DVD-RW Drive

* eVGA 6600GT 128MB PCI-E Videocard

* Microsoft Windows XP Professional with SP 2

* 1-Year Parts and Labour

????

Nice............

But............

Drop the XP pro and get XP home and use the difference to go to a 256mb vid card. I swapped out the 128 I had in the Little Rig for a 256 and it made a huge difference in the frame rates (and the LR has a smaller CPU than that setup).

Othere than that:

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

And in the future, drop in a sound card, that onboard sound will chew up CPU cycles. But that can wait for now.

Coolio advice guys.

Now, I have a question about Win XP Home. My discount outlet offers these three versions:

• Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition oem [$99.95]
  • Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade w/ SP2 (Retail Box) [$159.95]
  • Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2 Velocity CD+Manual (Must be installed by Memory Express) [$99.95]

Can I just get the $99.95 version and then download SP2? And why is the second option, that says "Upgrade" with SP2, why is that $159.95?

:unsure:

That is as much a mystery to me as my wife's moods. :P

Go with the last one, that way you got someone to blame if the install goes wrong. :rofl:

Seriously through........that sounds like the best deal.

Coolio advice guys.

Now, I have a question about Win XP Home. My discount outlet offers these three versions:

• Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition oem [$99.95]
  • Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade w/ SP2 (Retail Box) [$159.95]
  • Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2 Velocity CD+Manual (Must be installed by Memory Express) [$99.95]

Can I just get the $99.95 version and then download SP2? And why is the second option, that says "Upgrade" with SP2, why is that $159.95?

:unsure:

Well that is easily circumvented, I can order it and have it shipped to me, and then I can ship it to Herr Doug! :)

Donnie,

I went through that scenario with Spec in Seattle. After currency exchange, shipping, and insurance...it gets to be not that much of an advantage. I also think I could get it in without having to pay duty, but there's no guarantee that the customs boys won't say I have to pay it anyway.

But, we could go through the exercise again just to satisfy our curiosity as to how much I might save.

Donnie,

I went through that scenario with Spec in Seattle. After currency exchange, shipping, and insurance...it gets to be not that much of an advantage. I also think I could get it in without having to pay duty, but there's no guarantee that the customs boys won't say I have to pay it anyway.

But, we could go through the exercise again just to satisfy our curiosity as to how much I might save.

Just let me know. :)

My video card is by eVGA, seems reliable, but I wouldn't bother with another Ultra (don't think they are even being made now). Either a plain 6800 or a 6800GT is about all you need as long as you have 256MB of video RAM. Put a better cooler on the card and you can probably overclock it. Ultra's don't overclock too well either, seems the GPU on an Ultra is the best of the best, but GPU's on the GT series are only slightly inferior and most will overclock to near Ultra performance. I think the plain 6800's will overclock to GT levels, if that really floats your boat.

Window XP comes in different flavours. You got Retail, the boxed version you can buy in a store. The OEM version, that is bundled with computers and finally the Volume License (Corporate) Version.

The OEM version is much cheaper than the Retail, but the OEM is limited to one PC. Buy a new one, and you need a new OEM license. You can upgrade pieces, sometimes you have to call MS to have them manually unlock your activation.

The Upgrade package is basically an Retail version, but you must have some Windows license to upgrade from.

As for the version with or without SP2 on it... didn't know you could still buy one without. You can easily upgrade with Windows Update after the install. There is one gotcha tho, and that is that some hardware (like USB, Bluetooth) is better supported in SP2, so if you want to install of that kind of device (i.e you only have a USB-floppy and you need a RAID driver off that floppy) you can have some problems during install. Not a big deal usually, but something to keep in mind perhaps.

But it looks like a sweet machine :)

Too late to go buy it today.

Will go tomorrow if all goes according to plan :)

Ok, then, I'll try to get my extra special "Paddles Air Combat Spankin' Machine Testing Mission" done by Sat.

It R a goodie............BWWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Looks like Joker has next week's mission already posted.

But let's see add seven days to 25 March, and subtract 31 for the month = 1 April

Yes...........[montyburnsvoice]"excellent, splendid............release the hounds!"[/montyburnsvoice]

It's a shame you can get NewEgg just a couple hundred miles north of me,

as I just got a couple of boxes with goodies I spent less that a grand, US on.

After breaking it out, I was pretty amazed at how quickly it all slipped together.

Maybe my 7 minute Dell motherboard swaps in the last few months at work helped.

Anyway, here is a pic of the whole kit and kaboodle unpacked and ready for

installation;

P0001678.jpg

Poured a cold one and got right at it. No manual with the case, but it wasn't

too obtuse to figure out. I really dug that the motherboard attached to a

slide out tray. Monkeying around inside the chassis can get tedious.

P0001679.jpg

The one part that was tedious was attaching the chipset cooler, which I

heard from a fellow BlitzPig needed to be improved upon. The Schmancy

big old chrome CPU cooler I got wouldn't fit under the MB brace. Luckily,

the AMD supplied one looked to be a pretty good one, which I found surprising.

Here the 2 are in place, and the MoBo slid into the chassis.

P0001680.jpg

On the left is the hot-rod one that will be going into my son's "new" system.

It is my old one that he is tickled pink to be getting.

Speaking of who, he was my "help monkey", his words, during the process.

The completed project, with him taking a well deserved break, before

firing it up.

P0001681.jpg

Before the night was over, I was installing XP, after deciding against 2003 server.

P0001683.jpg

The driver and setup dance is taking much longer than the actual build.

2 issues arose, XP only saw 139GB of the 250Gig drives. Found a Seagate

drive dealio that fixed that, but the Audio refuses to install. I reckon the SLOW

download from Asus will fix that.

One last post of the rear area while running, it is a quiet and sexy beast...

P0001685.jpg

___EDIT___

Oh, yeah, here's the specs;

Qty. Product Description

1 xCASE ASPIRE|X-QPACK-AL/420 BK/SL R - Retail

1 MB ASUS A8N-VM CSM GF6150 939 - Retail

1 VGA EVGA N 6800GS 256-P2-N391-AX R - Retail

1 CPU AMD|ATHLON 64 3500+ 2.2G 939P R - Retail

1 MEM 512Mx2|PTR D400 PDC1G3200LLK R - Retail

2 HD 250G|ST 7K 8M SATA2 ST3250824AS - OEM

1 DVD BURNER ASUS|DRW-1608P2S BK % - OEM

1 DVD-ROM ASUS|DVD-E616AG BLACK % - OEM

1 CM NORTHBRIDGE COOLER RT-UCL-L4U1 R - Retail

1 CPU FAN SCYTHE|SCKT478/A FCS-50 - Retail

:D

Nice looking rig there, Spec. :thumbsup:

Yea, AMD has done a LOT better with its CPU cooling recently. I was thinking of getting a "better" CPU cooler for my Big Rig, but decided against it when I read the specs on the one that shipped with my chip. And checking with a laser temp scanner showed that what they shipped was doing the job very nicely.

That slide out tray for the MB is a nice touch. The old Compaq I use for ordinary net stuf (and am on now) has a flip down tray. Not having to reach into the case sure makes life easier.

Couple of questions:

How many USB connections that thing got? Looks like 2 on the front and 3 on the back.

Did you have any trouble attaching the CPU and the heat sink to the MB? I had to apply a lot of pressure to get them to seat correctly. Almost felt as if I was going to snap the MB in two.

:superscare:

1> 4 aft, 2 fore for the USB's. Built in NIC, and firewire o'er the top of each pair.

2> Once I had the arm slid by the chipset cooler tower on the far side, the arm to

hold it down just needed a bit of pressure to seat. Easiest sicket type I've done.

Slot type CPU's were cool for seating...

Nice :thumbsup:

Never had the pleasure with the older chips. Maybe what I exerienced was a Gigabyte MB/3700+ thing, who knows?

BTW: that handle thingmie looks cool too and very practical!!!

That is basically the same case I used to build Lottie's new PC a few months back. Less the windows. And on Lottie's the power supply went belly up on the second day of testing. I installed a Coolmax CX-500W power supply in it that I had in my new parts stock for emergencies. It fit, a bit snug, but it does fit with no cable stress. It has a 120mm fan and 3 speed fan switch. The whole shootin' match is so quiet you can hardly hear it running. I am not using a video card, onboard video cuz it is just her work machine, no gaming. ;)

Spec,

Cool case. Is that the new small "BTX" form factor? Your son obviously inherited your wife's good looks, no doubt :D

To all,

Oh, and btw, I just brought home my new rig. All pre-assembled and burned-in. I just unpacked the thing, but I haven't the energy to fire it up right now. Gotta have a nap, then I'll get into it.

Looks like I should be flying this weekend, lads :)

:thumbsup:

Spec,

Cool case. Is that the new small "BTX" form factor? Your son obviously inherited your wife's good looks, no doubt :D

To all,

Oh, and btw, I just brought home my new rig. All pre-assembled and burned-in. I just unpacked the thing, but I haven't the energy to fire it up right now. Gotta have a nap, then I'll get into it.

Looks like I should be flying this weekend, lads :)

:thumbsup:

No that is mini-atx. :)